Friday, March 9, 2012

After a long plane ride

     We are home.  I love Hawaii, but hate the plane ride.  In the old days we often had more than one seat and could move around and stretch a little.  Now it is so cramped I have a stiff back and knee from such confined sitting for so many hours.
    Our flight home left Kauai at 11 pm so we stayed in the condo until 9 and had a chance to wash the sand and salt off before getting on the plane.  We got home mid-afternoon.  We had a late lunch, a short nap and then a quiet evening.  Today I am almost back to the right time zone.
   I had a few favorites on this trip.  A new favorite beer - Kona Longboard Lager - I don't think I can get it in Minnesota.  A new gelato flavor called Salt Pond which was a sort of sea salt and caramel.  I discovered the rare and endangered plant - the fan palm - which I would have to have if I lived in Hawaii.  My favorite rain gear now and always - REI.  Finally, I have a renewed respect for my husband's driving skills through torrential rain and deep puddles.
    I think that maybe it is my Norwegian heritage, with all the fjords, that makes me so love to be near the sound of the sea.  I love the sound of the surf, it is like breathing to me.  I am happy to be back in my home but I can't wait to go back to the ocean.  Aloha.

No comments: