Monday, March 16, 2015

Driving into Spring

     I always think of Chicago when I think about Illinois and somehow have in my mind that the state is a big, cosmopolitan, metro area.  NOT.  We drove from one end of Illinois to the other and saw miles and miles of flat, brown, farmland.  BORING.  Our route took us far to the west of the busy roads going into and around Chicago, so at least we weren't fighting with heavy truck traffic.  The roads were good, the sun was shining, and I had some good tunes on the radio.
    As we got to southern Illinois we noticed much more standing water, and rivers swollen with snow melt.  By lunch time we finally found some green grass (and trees instead of farm fields) at Lake Rend.  We had our picnic lunch at a beautiful reststop by the lake.  The ice was off the lake and dozens of white and black birds were everywhere - a big flock migrating north.  The sun felt great.  
    I am on a quest for sightings of new birds on this trip to add to my bird list.  My brother and I have an informal contest going.  I am sure that sighting birds in Georgia and Florida will give me the edge.  If I could win by the quantity of birds I have seen I would be the winner already.  We have seen dozens of flocks of geese heading north.
    Not only are the geese heading north, so are the "snow birds."  We can't begin to count all the RV's on the road heading north.  Some were pulling pickups with golf carts in the bed of the pickup.  I just know that these folks have spent the winter at some nice RV/Golf resort in Florida.
    Our other signs of sping:  Bugs on the windshield (none on the first day of driving) and a beautiful gold color on the trees from the budding leaves.  
    We are now in Kentucky after crossing several very high rivers.  I love the rolling hills and forests.  We are staying outside Fort Campbell which is home to the only Air Assault Division in the world.  The sky is full of helicopters.  The area outside the fort has dozens of motels and restaurants (tatoo parlors, liquor stores and bars with naked ladies too).  We had a good dinner at "Pancho Villa's" Mexican grill.
    Tomorrow we meet up with Rick's brother Terry and our sister-in-law, Connie and head to the coast. About 570 more miles!    

No comments: