Friday, February 7, 2014

Knitting, Shopping and Eating at Steamboat

     The Olympics started today.  Long ago we were at Steamboat during the Olympics.  We tracked down the condos that we stayed in and I remembered why I cut across the field instead of skiing all the way down and then walking uphill carrying my skies.  Bear Paw Condos.  It was a snowy day again - the sunshine is gone for the rest of the week.
    I brought along some yarn on this trip with the intent of knitting a cowl scarf.  Due to the unforeseen circumstance of spending time being Nurse Susan, I have finished it.  I am very proud of the finished product.  I liked it so much that when I went downtown to visit the local quilt shop, I bought more yarn and another pattern for making a different cowl.  It is handy to have a warn neckie in this snowy climate.  The shop had a little gallery with a variety of fiber art creations on display.  They have a ways to go before it is really good, but it was fun to look around.  On the other hand, the quilt side of the shop was pretty sparse.  There was some nice fabric, but only two quilts on display.
    It is winter carnival time in Steamboat and some of the high school kids were busy making snow sculptures each block along the main street.  There are quite a few little arts and crafts stores which had special exhibits as well.  I enjoyed my walk down main street, but came home with only the skein of yarn and a free pattern.
    Rick continues to feel better so we walked over to a nearby Southwest/Mexican restaurant.  We got there early - just as the sun had faded behind the mountains.  Many of the trees around the resort village are decorated with mini-lights, so we could watch the village light up for the evening events from our table just next to the window.  Dinner was delicious as were the margaritas.  Rick was happy that he quit taking the potent pain killers and is just on Ibuprofen so he could enjoy some top shelf tequila.  MMM.
   We got back to the condo in time to watch the first events of the Olympics.  The young women who are competing in the mogul runs just make my knees and hips hurt.  I don't know if it is possible to be fit enough that all the jarring doesn't eventually do damage.  I look forward to another week of watching winter Olympic events.  Hopefully the snow will let up long enough for our bus to get us out of here on Saturday.

No comments: