Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Quiet Time at The Lodge Condos at Steamboat

     Snowing.  Heavy.  Foggy.  Quiet.
     I love these big snowflakes - especially when I can sit by the fire and look out at the pine trees bending under the weight of snow.  We don't have to go anywhere today.  The skiers are excited about the chance to ski new snow, although it is tough going sometimes.  Rick and I have no plans - just relax, read, and for Rick, heal.
     Rick was able to get comfortable in bed and actually slept pretty well last night.  I worried all night that I would bump him and did not sleep well.  However, I was really happy to see him get up with a smile and wander into the living room looking for coffee.  It is a good sign.
    Our condo mates booted up and headed off to the mountain.  We poured another cup of coffee and looked at the weather channel.  Snow, more snow and then, more snow.  Winter in the mountains.  I bet California wishes they had some of this snow.
   I had to buy Rick a couple shirts that button up rather than pull over his head.  There is no way he is getting into a t-shirt until his shoulder heals a little more.  We are lucky to have a Walmart nearby so I trekked through the snow (by car) and bought another shirt and more lunch supplies.  Steamboat has snowplows running all day and the best sanding of intersections that I have ever seen.  I noticed a "Winter Driving" school near the rental pickup as well.  Not everyone who comes here for a holiday is so accustomed to driving on snow covered roads.
    Everyone quit skiing early and gathered in our big living room with their E-Readers. This is quite a group of readers.  We have fun sharing our thoughts on the best new authors.
     Then the group headed out to the "Ore House" for dinner.  We had a group of 42 having an early dinner of trout or steak.  It was a fun and noisy gathering.  There were no new ski injuries today - everyone was very careful although the skiing was considered to be pretty challenging. During dinner we swapped travel stories with some of our fellow Ullr folks.  These mostly retired club members like to travel as well as ski.
    Rick got worn out and sore while sitting in an uncomfortable chair and was happy to get back to the condo for a little more socializing and an early night.  Even when we were young we did not party all night and ski all day.  When we got back to the condo there was a toddler walking around in his first snow pile.  He wasn't sure what to make of it.  I miss my grandchildren!

No comments: