Saturday, February 1, 2014

The "Steamboat is coming"

We are going to leave cold and snowy Minnesota for even snowier Steamboat Springs, Colorado.  While this does not seem like much of an escape to our Minnesota friends who have been enduring this colder than average winter, the temps in downtown Steamboat have been about 25 - 30 degrees higher than Apple Valley.  I am all for that.
We are going with a great group of skiers - The Ullr Ski, Bike and Social Club.  I am one of the younger members of the club.  Almost everyone that Rick skis with are well over 70.   This is a very active and fun loving group!
We will be staying in condos just a couple blocks from the gondola lift at the ski resort.  Weather reports say that the area got a foot of new snow so I am bringing my new camera to get some great winter mountain pictures.  I am also looking forward to a sleigh ride, spa visit and some swimming in an outdoor heated pool.  Downtown Steamboat has a brand new quilt shop with a textile arts exhibit opening today!
I was talking with my friend Jo yesterday and recalled that the last time I was a Steamboat was with her and other friends.  This was during the Olympics about 40 years ago.  On the last day of our long ago vacation Jo and I skied across an ungroomed area on the way back to our condos and took spectacular falls.  We have both had messed up knees since then, which is why I eventually quit skiing about 15 years ago.
An Ullr group vacation in January experienced numerous plane and bus delays.  I am hoping for a smooth journey tomorrow!   We will just have to see what Mother Nature has planned for us.

No comments: