Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Sunny Day at Park City Mountain

    The day dawned with bright sunshine and Rick woke up feeling much better and was ready to hit the slopes.  The base at Park City is a couple thousand feet lower than the Colorado ski areas which helps with adjustment to the altitude.  Rick now takes a pill a few days before we leave on the trip to help avoid altitude sickness.  Still, there is just a lot less oxygen available and everything takes more effort.
   Rick gathered his gear, boarded the free shuttle that runs all around the Park City area, and trudged to the base of the first lift.  The members of the ski club all wear bright yellow bandanas on their sleeves (or somewhere) so that they can spot each other on the hill.  Rick spotted a fellow Ullr and spent a few wonderful hours on the mountain.
   I lazed about, had a great free breakfast buffet, read the paper and Googled "quilt shops" to find a fun place to visit.  Driving today was much easier without piles of snow and snowplows.  The quilt shop was called Davidene's.  I had a great time looking at fabric and patterns.  Lots of local ladies in the shop were trying to convince me to drive to a shop in Salt Lake City.  mmmm.  As I checked out (yes I bought some fabric) I was talking to the store owner.  She asked me where I was from.  When I told her Minnesota, she talked about a Quilt Shop Hop that she was on which visited 12 stores in northern Minnesota including a tiny one in a gas station.  She was talking about a shop in Hill City just 15 miles from our cabin.  Such a small world.
    I foolishly wore sneakers instead of my boots when I left the hotel,
so my thoughts of hiking around the city park and taking pictures was foiled.  Instead I bought some lunch supplies and headed back to our room.  Rick staggered in a few minutes after me and was happy to have a picnic lunch in the room.
   The Ski Club had a dinner event at a local barbecue restaurant called the Grub Steak.  Our group of 40 filled one of the banquet rooms and we downed a heap of ribs, chicken, corn on the cob and baked beans.  Everyone shared stories about their favorite runs including one lady who had her picture taken to show folks that you CAN ski if you are over 80.  I shared my adventures and got the usual questions about how how I managed to drive around an unfamiliar town and find things to do.  GPS and Smartphones!!!  After making a valient effort to finish a huge brownie, we rolled back "home" to get ready for another busy day.

No comments: