Saturday, September 9, 2017

Iron Lake, WI

     Here we are, just the two of us, at Top O' the Morn campground on Iron Lake, just outside Iron River, Wisconsin.  It has been a beautiful day for traveling with perfectly blue skies.  I have thought all day about all the Floridians on the road escaping Hurricane Irma.  Our traveling was much more fun.
   This was the first time this summer that we have traveled in the RV without one or two kids joining us.  I kept looking back to the bench seats to see how they were doing, but no one was there.  We really enjoyed our time with our grandchildren this summer.  However, it was easier to stock up with food for our two week trip when I am just planning for the two of us.
    Our campground has many seasonal campers.  It has lots of big pines and overlooks a pretty lake.  When we stopped at the office to check in I remembered being here before in the winter on a snowmobile.  The office is also a small bar and grill.  I remember stopping to warm up with some hot coffee during a long day of snowmobiling.  We also remembered staying at a nearby motel with such saggy old beds that I had to hook my leg over the side to keep from sliding to the canyon in the middle.  We were young and more able to sleep in terrible beds, I guess.  My camper bed is much more comfortable.
    We had a leisurely drive - just three and a half hours.  This let us have a slow start in the morning and plenty of time to sit in the sun and read this afternoon.  It has been a busy month of working on the cabin, so this is our "vacation" from our vacation cabin.  I have been plagued with a flare up of knee pain since working at the cabin.  Today my knee is fine, yeah!
   I want to treasure this experience of traveling together in our camper.  We both enjoy it so much and have so much fun exploring new places.  Two neighbors  - one at home and one at the cabin - unexpectedly lost their long time partners in August.  We never know which trip will be the last, so I want to savor each one and be thankful.
     One of our favorite Minnesota authors, William Kent Krueger, uses a town called "Iron Lake" in many of his books.  His Iron Lake is on the Minnesota Iron Range, however.  Or not - maybe there will be a mystery happening tonight!!!!

No comments: