Friday, September 14, 2012

Slow go around Chicago

     We stopped last night just short of the Illinois border.  Our Campground Planner had routed our trip through Chicago.  It IS the shortest way to go, but we are 45' long with our "Toad" which makes changing lanes a challenge.  I voted for us to go far outside Chicago on I39.  Rick (definitely more conservative of the two of us) suggested that we do a "modified" Chicago route.  We don't know how much construction we may have run into on I39, but we certainly spent a bunch of time driving on the shoulder on our I90/I385 route.  There was no winner in this decision on which way to go.  We just had to groan and bear it.
    We stopped at the Belvedere Plaza over the freeway before we got very far into Chicago.  I can remember many occasions when we have stopped there, including a trip to Washington D.C. with my parents when I was 12.  I remember that my Dad really loved to stop at these Tollway Plazas because they all had Howard Johnson's 21 flavors of ice cream.  Dad really loved his ice cream and was always delighted to have such a big choice - although Maple Nut was his hands down favorite.
    We lost an hour today as we drove into the Eastern Time Zone - a bad day to lose an hour despite our earlier start this morning.  We drove through Illinois and have made it to Ohio.  Both states that we have not traveled through before in the RV.  I love to add the state stickers to our U.S. and Canada map.  We don't have many left to get and should add several more on this trip.  Not sure how we are going to get the Hawaii sticker unless we just spend a night sleeping on the beach - Hmmm - maybe in March!
    We are in a pretty campground about three miles off the freeway.  It is the weekend now so there are kids in the campground.  I love to see them riding their bikes and scooters.  I have noticed that there are almost no overweight kids out camping.  It is really good to see.  As always we are enjoying people watching in the campgrounds.  This motorhome has fewer windows than the 5th wheel so we have to work a little harder at it.  Last night we saw one poor man back into his site at least 6 times in an effort to get perfectly situated.  I also saw a couple who each had one artificial leg.  I am delighted that technology and acceptance have moved forward so that it is comfortable for folks with disabilities to enjoy camping too.  
    The weather is beautiful - sunny and cool.  So we are enjoying a great evening - sitting at the picnic table with our computers.  What could be better.  I know - we could be taking a walk!

1 comment:

Arik said...

You paint a beautiful picture. All the Howard Johnson's over freeways are gone. At least according to Google. I wanted to find one for nostalgia and point you to it.