Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Crater Lake National Park

     We left our lovely campground at Sisters and went south through Bend to Crater Lake National Park. The road was straight and flat for a nice change. Jo took off to see the Desert Museum and the Lava Park, as well as making a stop at the grocery store since National Parks are almost always short on available grocery supplies.

    It was an easy drive until we got near the park where we gained 1000’ in elevation in a steady uphill climb. Then we went through the North Entrance to the park and shortly thereafter got to the winding road that circles the rim of the crater. The Ranger at the park entrance assured us that we could drive the road with our trailer, but YIKES! It was a narrow 2-lane road with no guard rails, lots of curves, steep wall of rock, and both car and bicycle traffic. A white knuckle ride for both of us.  We were very surprised to see snow everywhere. The park gets over 500" a season so it takes a long time to melt.
     We got to the Mazama campground and spent a frustrating 30 minutes checking in. I am not impressed with the concessions that run the campgrounds at some national parks.   Unlike commercial campgrounds, there was no marked lane for parking while checking in.  Rick pulled over to where he thought he would be out of the way and then was immediately told to move the RV.   The staff at the check-in kiosk were slow, confused, unable to deal with any variables, and repeated extensive lists of irrelevant information. When I told them that the third person in our party was arriving later they told me that they could not “divulge” our campsite number to her. There was also no cell phone service in the park. I asked if I could leave her a message. They suggested that I post one on a board outside the store, but they couldn't tell her that a message was there for her.  
     Thus began a frustrating afternoon. I could tell that Jo was calling me, but I could not get enough service to take the call or call my voice mail to listen to her message. Was she having car trouble? Lost? Late? Who knew. Rick walked down to the check-in several times and at long last she arrived. Jo had so much fun she was just slow in catching back up with us. She too, though, was aggravated in talking with the campground check-in staff. I’m glad that it wasn’t just me that was frustrated with them.
     Our campsite was easy to get into, has lots of trees and privacy.   But it also has some melting snow and huge numbers of mosquitoes.   So many that we can’t sit outside despite the lovely surroundings. It has no electricity, so we are running on battery, but the days are long and fairly warm.   It is supposed to be in the low 40's overnight.

1 comment:

Gary said...

bugs and snow at the same time go figure, check in staff better you than me, I never had much patience to begin with and am not gaining any ground on that problem as I get older