Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Seward, Alaska

     The drive to Seward was short - only 3 hours - and easy with lots of good scenery.  We got to Seward around lunch time and took a gravel road out to Lowell Point across a very narrow bridge.  The campground - Miller's Landing - was a popular one so I got reservations before we left Minnesota.  When I reserved the site I was told that I had a pull-through site in the shade.  The campground was really nice.  It was right on the water with lots of beach and water activities.  The actual site that was assigned to us was not as nice.  It was behind a couple of junky old buildings and an outhouse.  The very bumpy pull-though road was between several trees.  We worked for quite a while at trying to get the RV into the site and finally gave up.  When I went back to the office to ask for a different site I got some additional information.  None of the sites had water and the dump station was 3 miles back across the narrow bridge. This was information that was not provided when I reserved the site.  Well I really got crabby.  We had already spent over an hour trying to get into the site.
    We took a break and had some lunch.  Then I talked the office into giving me my reservation money back.  Another campground was recommended to us so we drove 6 miles out of town to Stoney Creek, a much more modern, full service campground.   It certainly was not as scenic, but at least we could get the trailer into the site and could have showers in the morning.

    We drove downtown for a nice dinner at the "Crab Pot" restaurant and then Matt and Amanda shopped for a few last souvenirs. We headed back to camp for a beautiful evening - one of our last with the kids.  I will really miss them.

No comments: