Thursday, June 1, 2006

Tunnel Mountain Trailer Park, Banff, AB

     It was only an 86 mile drive to the mountains of Banff today.  We are now smack in the middle of beautiful, rugged peaks.  Tunnel Mountain is in Banff park.  It is shady, with nice tall pines and each campsite is well separated from the others.  This campground is for hard sided trailers only - lots of grizzlies in the area.  The campground used for tents and tent trailers is surrounded by a tall, barb-wired fence to keep the unwelcome animals out.  I am sitting at our picnic table and can see mountains on three sides.  It is just perfect.
     We spent some time in downtown Banff today after lunch.  It is a really pretty town, but somewhat touristy.  Rick remembered many places he visited with Matthew when they came here for a ski vacation.
     I remembered the campground that Rick and I stayed in when we were here in 1974 at Two Jack Lake.  It was later in the year - just after the 4th of July - but much colder then.  I remember just freezing in our orange nylon tent and air mattresses.  Of course, now I just turn on the heater when we get chilly in the morning and put the coffee pot on the stove.

    I had to call Mark to share this nice evening.  I wish he were here.

No comments: